Sunday, February 12, 2012

Point & Counterpoint

Hello fellow 422 course-takers!

I didn't have to Google myself to know that I have a pretty heavy digital footprint. I have a very active YouTube account that is linked directly to my last name -- so it's really easy to find if you know me. I have a personal website that houses my poetry. I am very active in my Serbian community, and a lot of the activities I do are reported on (in papers, on other websites, etc.) You'll find me everywhere on the Internet. Last year I was even on the Jay Leno show, showcasing some Serbian folk dancing. ;)

SO! As I take this course, I am wondering about my digital footprint. I am a little bit of a social media queen -- and nothing I post on the Internet is necessarily inappropriate -- but I am worried that it could be taken the wrong way by someone in my future. This is a real thing I need to think through, analyze, and decide what will be best for me.

After reading this article, I really think blogging is worth the risk. If no one ever took risks in life, then humanity would never make strides. Some of the best innovators that ever lived were the biggest risk-takers of their time. It is so important to keep having a voice -- always. I really agree with the argument we read on the "YES" side. I wouldn't want to work for someone that didn't value me as a whole person, either.

I currently am an active blogger. It's not really a personal blog -- it has a specific theme (Balkan folklore). But I REALLY enjoy blogging about things I am passionate about. I can totally see myself joining the conversation on a variety of educational topics in the future.

I think the best thing to do, if you want to blog -- is just make sure you 100% support what you're saying -- and that you can substantiate it. Of course, the best thing to do even before one starts a blog is to get educated on what is the safest, most rewarding way you can do it. One question I find myself asking is, wouldn't just blogging anonymously solve the problem? I need to do more research on the pros and cons of that.

Anyway, see you all on Tuesday! *:)

-- Marina Skendzic

Citation: Maxlow, James, and Lisa Nielson. "Point/Counterpoint Is Blogging Worth the Risk?." International Society for Teachers. Learning and Leading, May 2009. Web. 2 Feb 2012. <http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Point_Counterpoint_Is_Blogging_Worth_the_Risk.asp&xgt;.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marina,
    I 100% agree with your point of making sure you fully support your ideals if you intend to blog. I also agree that it is incredibly important to have a voice. As you mentioned, some of the most influential icons in history took risks, and because of that we have the luxuries that we have now. If we lose this, we lose out on innovation itself. In regard to your question at the end, to me, blogging anonymously has disadvantages too. For one, who the blogger is holds incredible value as you need to know whether the source is credible or not. Two, anonymity silences the bloggers voice. Interesting question and post! See you Tuesday.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marina,

    I also agree with you that blogging can be worth the risk. I think the "NO" argument in this article showed that you really do have to watch how you approach your blogging. It is great to share experiences, ideas, and information but if you share and dissect what your colleagues do, it makes it easy for them to push you away. I agree with Tyler as well on your anonymity question. Credibility is very important when using online resources. Credibility is also a very important lesson we should teach our students about online writing and research.

    Kyleigh

    ReplyDelete