I wanted to know more about the debate that surrounds the Common Core Standards. I am becoming more and more familiar with what they are all about as I progress in my education course work here at CSUSM, but I was not sure about what the debate is, exactly.
Doesn't common knowledge within a single nation sound like … common sense? At least that was my thinking.
So, in my search for information regarding the pros and cons of the Common Core Standards, I came across an article from Public Schools Review called "National Education Standards: Both Sides of the Debate" by Grace Chen.
I will summarize for you what I found are the main points of the debate!
PROS:
Citation: Chen, Grace. "National Education Standards: Both Sides of the Debate." Public School Review: Elementary, Middle, & High Schools. Public School Review, 30 Jun 2010. Web. 2 Apr 2012. <http://www.publicschoolreview.com/articles/242>.
Doesn't common knowledge within a single nation sound like … common sense? At least that was my thinking.
So, in my search for information regarding the pros and cons of the Common Core Standards, I came across an article from Public Schools Review called "National Education Standards: Both Sides of the Debate" by Grace Chen.
I will summarize for you what I found are the main points of the debate!
PROS:
- Clear/consistent
- More aligned with college requirements (more rigor, application)
- Encourage students to be competitive
- Gets rid of assessment inconsistencies between states.
CONS:
- Federal government will get TOO involved
- Will not be able to discern quality of education because it is too broad
After reading about these pros and cons… I am more solid in my support for the Common Core Standards. And, just looking at the lists of pros and cons, it is obvious that the pro list is longer than the con list. I am worried about the government getting too much involved in the bureaucracy of education; however, the wrinkles in the Common Core Standards have not been ironed out yet.
I think the Common Core Standards are a great idea and a great concept. But, like any giant idea, there are a lot of things that still need to be considered and articulated. Before implementing Common Core Standards, we all need to be sure that we are doing the best thing for the students in the end.
I think the Common Core Standards are a great idea and a great concept. But, like any giant idea, there are a lot of things that still need to be considered and articulated. Before implementing Common Core Standards, we all need to be sure that we are doing the best thing for the students in the end.
Thanks for reading!
-- Marina Skendzic
No comments:
Post a Comment